Further progress has been made in the development of our Homage to the Sphere virtual reality environment. There will now be 6-8 objects populating the sphere. Here is my current thinking on these – although I’m still thinking about some of the objects.
Firstly, these objects will be really simple in form … and that tiny versions will spread out into the colour sphere from the full size versions, which will themselves vary in size. Secondly, that the objects will assume various cultural references, whilst remaining mysterious themselves in terms of true meaning. Some of these objects will draw associations from Goethe and Schillers ‘Rose of Temperaments’, a diagrammatic colour wheel that matches twelve colours to human occupations or their character traits, grouped into four ‘temperaments’.
The objects that are currently represented are as follows.
1) The ‘Durer Polyhedron’ from Durer’s etching Melencolia I – representing Melancholy and situated at the white pole.
2) A golden version of the same object at the black pole – representing Euphoria …
3) A simple purple sphere at the yellowest point of the colour wheel ‘equator’ – representing the Emperor (from traditional Tarot cards).
4) A Cyan sphere with yellow dots on its surface. This will represent The Teacher – and will be located at the most orange point of the colour wheel (this is based on an object being held by the Astronomer Zoroaster in Raphael’s painting ‘The School of Athens’)
5) A Yellow object representing The Tyrant – at the most purple point of the colour wheel
6) A Red object representing The Hero – at the greenest point.
7) A Green object representing The Lovers – at the reddest point.
8) An Orange object representing The Adventurer – at the bluest point.